Yesterday was Alan’s birthday so he decided to take the day off. We chose to play tourist and visit the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla. I hadn’t been there in many years. It was an absolutely gorgeous day.
Alan had to play photographer since I can no longer handle the camera. Here are several shots of the many wonders the aquarium holds.
We arrived just in time for a feeding show in the giant kelp tank. Divers entered the tank from above to clean the exhibit and to feed the fish. One of the divers had a microphone in his scuba mask and was able to talk about the different species of fish.
And I’m happy to report that, yes, we did find Nemo!
Later, we had a delicious meal at a favorite Mexican restaurant. All in all very pleasant birthday.
Earlier this week we both got our flu shots so hopefully this year we won’t have that to deal with. Alan was very sick just after Christmas last year.
Healthwise, things continue to progress. I find myself thinking more and more about how I’m going to eat as opposed to what I’d like to eat. For example, we stopped at Starbucks yesterday and Alan got my favorite: Chai tea latte. I now realize I cannot lift a “tall” up high enough to take a sip. He had to hold it for me. When it had cooled a little we tried a straw and that worked. And when the cup was about half empty I was able to hold it with two hands and manage on my own. Later at the restaurant he mostly fed me. I could manage a few bites myself but the fork was so heavy!
I think losing the use of my hands and arms is going to be the toughest blow (so far) dealt by ALS. Technology is great, but I sure wish I could scratch little itches that are always just out of reach.
But enough whining! Here are some things I am grateful for today!
- It’s cool today! High 60′s but heading up to mid-70′s I’m sure. They say it’ll be hot this weekend, but today is lovely.
- My husband, best friend, caregiver, sounding board and encourager: Alan!
- Netflix! Law & Order: SVU sans commercials! Now, if they’d just start streaming NCIS…
- Mom is enjoying the retirement facility where she moved a few months ago. It’s pretty, well-maintained, friendly (both staff and residents), and the food is superb! They had prime rib the other evening! Prime rib!! And on Fridays, a therapy dog visits.
- Support Group last Saturday! Such good friends and so much courage. I admire each patient, caregiver, and our facilitators. You all help us on this journey.
Hoping to make it to church this Sunday. It’s a challenge but we love being there. God has blessed us so!
Have a great weekend, everyone!